Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yippee!


My copy of The Golden Compass has arrived from Amazon! I'm not sure why I'm so excited, since I had kind of a mixed reaction to the movie, but it was beautifully filmed, for all the violence I felt they did to the story, and the girl who played Lyra was spot on. I have to disagree with Philip Pullman on Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter, although I guess the director got what he wanted, which was an "ice queen." She was utterly cold and you can never imagine her doing something reckless like embarking on an affair with Lord Asriel, but the feeling that I always got about her from the book was of barely suppressed passion. Someone cold might be able to watch torture unmoved, but Mrs. C. actually enjoys it.

Unfortunately things aren't looking very good for the sequel, in which case they should have added the original ending back on, but as far as I know they didn't.

No comments: