Servant of the Secret Fire

Random thoughts on books and life in the reality-based community

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

The name I've chosen comes from "Lord of the Rings," when Gandalf faces down the Balrog in the Mines of Moria. My Hebrew name is Esther (which is related to the word for "hidden" or "secret") Serafina (which means "burning"). This seems appropriate because although I don't usually put myself forward, I do care very passionately about a lot of things. Maybe through these blogs I can share some of these passions, as well as less weighty ideas and opinions, with others.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Worse than Guantanamo?

And Dubya is worried that deep-sixing the port deal is going to “send the wrong message” to the Arab world? (From what I understand the millionaires in the UAE aren’t exactly resoundingly popular with the average Arab in the street anyway.)

Click on link or title for full story.

A Growing Afghan Prison Rivals Bleak Guantánamo

By TIM GOLDEN and ERIC SCHMITT
Published: February 26, 2006
While an international debate rages over the future of the American detention center at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the military has quietly expanded another, less-visible prison in Afghanistan, where it now holds some 500 terror suspects in more primitive conditions, indefinitely and without charges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home