Servant of the Secret Fire

Random thoughts on books and life in the reality-based community

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

The name I've chosen comes from "Lord of the Rings," when Gandalf faces down the Balrog in the Mines of Moria. My Hebrew name is Esther (which is related to the word for "hidden" or "secret") Serafina (which means "burning"). This seems appropriate because although I don't usually put myself forward, I do care very passionately about a lot of things. Maybe through these blogs I can share some of these passions, as well as less weighty ideas and opinions, with others.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sedition??????

What are we coming to? About the only time I’ve come across the word is when I learned about the Alien and Sedition Acts in American history, and they weren’t presented as a good thing, but as a time when we detoured from the ideals on which the country is based and attempted to criminalize dissent. Something similar happened during WWI, though I’m not sure if the word was used. Watch what you say in those letters to the editor!

From Editor and Publisher:

Nurse Investigated for 'Sedition' After Writing Letter to Editor
By E&P Staff
Published: February 11, 2006 9:00 PM ET
NEW YORK Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.) has asked Veterans Affairs Secretary James Nicholson for a thorough inquiry of his agency's investigation into whether a V.A. nurse's letter to the editor criticizing the Bush administration amounted to "sedition." 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home