Servant of the Secret Fire

Random thoughts on books and life in the reality-based community

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

The name I've chosen comes from "Lord of the Rings," when Gandalf faces down the Balrog in the Mines of Moria. My Hebrew name is Esther (which is related to the word for "hidden" or "secret") Serafina (which means "burning"). This seems appropriate because although I don't usually put myself forward, I do care very passionately about a lot of things. Maybe through these blogs I can share some of these passions, as well as less weighty ideas and opinions, with others.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Hearings, Part 3

Feingold (D): At least he registered his disapproval of the fact that Gonzales isn’t under oath. Dubya has a “pre-1776 view of the world.” He’s going after G on his testimony in his confirmation hearings (which was under oath). Gonzales is playing word games, of course - Feingold had asked him about behavior “in contravention of the law” and as far as he was concerned it wasn’t in contravention of the law. If he were a Democrat this would be called “Clintonesque.” He’s invoking Lincoln, Wilson and FDR, whose actions, of course, all took place during shooting wars, if not declared ones.

Graham (R): Another apologist, although I’d heard earlier that he had expressed serious concerns. Maybe I was wrong. At least he’s acknowledging the “slippery slope” danger, and says the “inherent authority” argument could neuter the Congress. I guess he didn’t notice that he and the rest of them have pretty much already been neutered. (I’m so sick of this “we are at war” refrain - he’s already admitted that this “war” is pretty much perpetual.)

Schumer (D): Good point - this is not an either-or proposition. We can have both freedom and security. He’s the second one who has brought up that it’s not only D’s who are questioning the legality of this thing. Whether Ashcroft’s #2 disagreed - he’s not going to answer the question. Let’s get Mr. Comey (sp?) in there to speak for himself, if Gonzales “can’t” answer. Tough questioning - yes!

Cornyn (R): Apologist. ‘Nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home