Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Another exciting discovery

Tombs in Egypt, statues of Rameses II (although the man was such an extremely long-lived megalomaniac that I wouldn't think that would be that big a deal), new species... This seems to be an amazing time for archeologists and whoever the people are who study the new species. My only question is: if this eruption was 4 times bigger than Krakatoa, why isn't it given as much space in the history books (at least as far as I know)? (Update: It is mentioned in the book Ghosts of Pompeii by Charles Pellegrino, a fascinating book that I'm slowly making my way through.) Click on link or title to read whole story.
Scientists Claim to Find Lost Civilization

By RAY HENRY, Associated Press Writer Mon Feb 27, 9:29 PM ET

NARRAGANSETT, R.I. - Scientists have found what they believe are traces of the lost Indonesian civilization of Tambora, which was wiped out in 1815 by the biggest volcanic eruption in recorded history.

No comments: